The Gordon Hay Scholarship Committee offers $5000 award to one exceptional Charlotte Region student.
The criteria according to which the Scholarship Committee will select the finalists are:
- Academic performance
- Evidence of the pursuit of personal excellence
- School and community engagement
- Desire to enrich the lives of others through the performing arts
- Career potential in a non-performance area of the performing arts which will be proved by a portfolio presentation and appropriate references
- Financial need
When it comes to eligibility, there are certain requirements set by the scholarship committee.
The eligible student is the one who is a graduating high school senior, college freshman, or college sophomore at the time of application.
He/she must be pursuing an undergraduate degree in a non-performance discipline of the performing arts such as music composition, directing, costume design, set design, lighting design, sound design, stage management, arts administration, arts education, etc.
If he/she is a high school student, he/she must reside in one of the following Charlotte-area counties: Alexander, Anson, Cabarrus, Catawba, Cleveland, Gaston, Iredell, Lincoln, Mecklenburg, Rowan, Stanley, Union, Chester (SC), Chesterfield (SC), Lancaster (SC),York (SC).
How to Apply
If you are eligible for this award, you should know something more about the Application Process.
Application forms will be available and downloadable on December 7th on the scholarship provider’s official website.
Make sure you submit the completed application packets prior to April 1st.
The application packet is considered complete if it contains:
- A completed Scholarship Application Form
- One-page essay in which you will be speaking about why you are applying for the Gordon Hay Scholarship
- Most recent transcript from your high school
- Student Aid Report
- Reference Contact Form and a recommendation letter from a current teacher or industry professional
- A copy of a college acceptance letter and any financial aid award letters received.
The Scholarship Committee will select finalists for the scholarship and they will be notified by April 12th.
All finalists will be invited to the Gordon Hay Scholarship Interviews on April 27th.
Each student will have 14 minutes with the Scholarship Committee to present your portfolio which should include show programs, photos, letters of appreciation or commendation and illustrations.
After the interview, the winners will be determined.