The North American Cartographic Information Society [NACIS] offers individual and group scholarships worth $500. The prize money is meant to encourage excellence among students, for dynamic mapping in cartography. The prizes are in individual and group categories.
The scholarship body aims at encouraging excellence in cartography from the lowest levels of study. Participants in the competition have equal chances of getting the scholarship, provided they are able to meet the judgement standards. The evaluation of submitted maps by the contestants is expected to incorporate the highest standards in the field of cartography. The identification of dynamic mapping as an important aspect of cartography will ensure that, participating students contribute to its future improvement.
Students enrolled in certificate, undergraduate, and graduate programs will improve their skills through encouragement and guidance from the judges. The judges are well respected cartographers. Certification for participation in the competition is an added advantage for the prize winners.
The eligibility criteria allows for individual, as well as group participants. In order to qualify for the award, the society needs you to:
- Be a member of any country,
- Be enrolled in a certificate, undergraduate or graduate course
- Have never won the prize,
- Submit map for judge’s analysis
How to Apply
The application process for the scholarship will mainly involve the submission of maps for evaluation. The application procedure will therefore involve the following steps:
- Submit a map according to given guidelines, addressed to the competition director,
- Wait for notification from the director on the status of the application entry,
- If application is rejected, check for comments and make the necessary changes to the map,
- If the application entry is accepted, the applicant is entered into the competition,
- Get notification on judges’ decision concerning the entry,
- Attend NACIS Annual Conference for award of the scholarship and certificate.