The Hyatt Hotels Fund for Minority Lodging Management Students was established in 1988 with the aim to provide financial aid to minority students pursuing a degree in hotel management.
The scholarship is available thanks to the generosity of the American Hotel and Lodging Educational Foundation (AH&LEF) and the number of awards offered varies annually.
Since 1988, approximately 372 minority students have received $744,000 through this scholarship.
In case you are selected as a scholarship winner, you will receive a $3,000 award and a plaque.
Being that there are 20 winners each year, you are highly suggested to take a look at the requirements, and if you fulfill them, try your luck by applying.
The criteria for the winner selection will be based on academics, related work experience, extracurricular activities, financial need, honors, and personal attributes.
Here are the eligibility criteria for the Hyatt Hotels Fund for Minority Lodging Management Students award.
- The applicant has to be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours for the upcoming fall and spring semesters, or just the fall semester if graduating this December
- He/she has to be pursuing a baccalaureate hospitality management major in a U.S. college or university
- He/she has to be at least a junior for the upcoming fall semester
- The competition is open to minority students: African-American, Hispanic, Native American/Alaskan, and Asian/Pacific Islander
- The applicant must be a U.S. citizen or permanent U.S. resident
How to Apply
The application process consists of completing and submitting the AHLEF scholarship application.
Applicants are required to complete all sections of it and provide the supporting documents.
Besides the completed Application Form, the applicant is obliged to submit the following:
- Financial Need Analysis
All these have to be done before the deadline on April 15th.
No letters of recommendation are required for this award.
The applicant is responsible for the submission of all materials, so make sure that all the documents are put in the application package and that it will arrive on time to the American Hotel and Lodging Educational Foundation.
Otherwise, your application will be rejected, even though you are eligible for the award.