- Renewable: Unknown
- Number of Awards: 4
- Award Amount: Not Available
- Website: https://www.cn.edu
- Phone: 865-471-3328
- Fax: Not Available
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: Department of Music Carson-Newman College Jefferson City, TN 37760
Only those people who are eligible are encouraged to participate in the Carson-Newman College Full Tuition Scholarship Competition for Band, Voice, Piano, and Organ.
Carson-NewmanTarr Full-Tuition Music Scholarship Competition committee offers Four full-tuition scholarships, awarded to one winner in each category of band, voice, piano, and organ.
Eligible students are high school senior or graduate with an interest in majoring in music who have not yet attended college.
How to Apply
The scholarship committee has determined some audition requirements by instrumentation with the professional dress that is recommended.
Piano: A total of two selections by memory representing two or more of the following categories:
- A selection of J.S. Bach, from Two or Three-Part Inventions, Well-Tempered Clavier, Suites, Partitas, etc.
- A movement of a sonatina or sonata by Clementi, Haydn, Mozart or Beethoven.
- A work from 19th-century repertoire by such composers as Chopin, Schumann, or Mendelssohn.
- A selection from 20th-century composers such as Shostakovitch, Kabalevsky, Bartok, Barber, Debussy, etc.
Voice: A total of two selections by memory representing two of the following categories.
- Selections from 17th or 18th-century Italian song literature.
- Selections from 17th or 18th-century British song literature.
- Selections from 20th century British or American sacred or secular song literature.
- An aria from an opera, oratorio, or cantata.
Organ: A total of two selections representing two of the following categories:
- One prelude and fugue from eight Little Preludes and Fugues by Bach
- An organ composition of a contrasting nature.
Woodwind or Brass Instruments: Selections from each of the following categories:
- All 12 Major and chromatic scales for the full range of the instrument.
- An etude or a solo selection demonstrating, both technical and lyrical skills, as well as musical level of achievement.
Percussion: Required Audition Materials are two-mallet or four-mallet solo to demonstrate technique and musicianship, twelve major scales and chromatic scale full-range on the marimba and sight-read at the marimba.
Snare Drum: Students need to prepare:
- a concert or rudimental solo or etude to demonstrate technique and musicianship,
- the 40 PAS rudiments, to be played slow-fast-slow
- the multiple bounce roll should be played soft-loud-soft to demonstrate sight-reading in a concert style.
Timpani: Students need to prepare:
- a solo or etude to demonstrate technique, musicianship, and tuning ability on timpani.
Furthermore, as part of your audition experience, you will be administered a theory placement exam.