The Barbara Caras Memorial Scholarship For Film Students is named after Barbara Caras who was known as a person who dedicated many years to promoting quality film entertainment.
The great thing is that the scholarship is renewable, but the eligible applicants must reapply.
The documents must be received before the deadline on July 31st and they can be hand-delivered to either one of the theaters:
Burns Court Cinema, 506 Burns Lane, Sarasota, FL
Lakewood Ranch Cinemas, 10715 Rodeo Drive, Lakewood Ranch, FL 34202
The number of awards given is 5 and the amount is $2,000.00 each.
Only the eligible applicants will be considered for the award and if you do not meet the following requirements, you are advised not to apply.
This Scholarship is established to assist students majoring in film in our local community but the only way of getting it is by meeting the scholarship criteria.
So as to be eligible, the candidate must:
- Reside in Sarasota or Manatee County, Florida
- Complete at least one full year at an accredited Florida College
- Be currently enrolled in one of the following majors: Film, Computer Animation, Creative Writing, Motion Design, Illustration,
- Provide at least one sample of their work with the application
- Maintain 2.75 Grade Point Average
How to Apply
You are supposed to write four essays.
They should be about:
- Tell the scholarship committee about yourself, including your aspirations of having a career in the film industry in 250-500 words.
- What area of Film your chosen career is and what other areas of film and production you would be interested in besides your current major in 150-300 words.
- Which film has most influenced your life and why? (200-350 words)
- Describe a project, experience, or person related to your career goals that have most inspired you and why? (200-300 words)
Besides the essays, the applicants must submit:
- Most recent transcript
- Resume including work experience, any club affiliations, community service, honors & awards.
If one of the documents is missing, the application will be rejected and it is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure that all the files are submitted.