- Renewable: Yes
- Number of Awards: Not Available
- Award Amount: $1,500
- Website: https://www.leadwithlanguages.org
- Phone: Not Available
- Fax: Not Available
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: Not Available
The Lead with Languages Scholarship Fund offers merit-based scholarships to graduating high school seniors who plan to achieve a degree in the language teaching profession in languages other than English.
The Lead with Languages Scholarship Fund awards $1,500 per academic year and it can be renewed three times, so the total amount is $6,000 per recipient.
The only way of being accepted as a possible recipient of the Lead with Languages scholarship is to meet the eligibility requirements.
To be eligible for consideration, applicants have to:
- Be U.S. citizens, nationals, or permanent residents attending secondary schools in the United States or a U.S. territory.
- Be anticipating completion of a high school diploma at the time of application.
- Be accepted and planning enter an accredited U.S. post-secondary institution, leading to credentialing as a language educator.
- Have taken at least two years of the same language in high school, or present documentation of proficiency results from an ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI), the ACTFL Assessment of Performance Toward Proficiency (AAPPL), or any comparable assessment.
- Have maintained a 3.0 or higher GPA overall (on a 4.0 scale).
Those applicants who are related to a ACTFL staff member are not eligible for this scholarship and should not apply.
The scholarship is renewable, but so as to renew it, you are required to complete a yearly renewal application and provide:
- College or university transcripts annually to show proof of a GPA of 3.0 or higher overall
- Proof of continued enrollment.
- A brief annual survey to report on their experience.
- Verify at the conclusion of their junior year that they remain enrolled in a degree program leading to credentialing as a language educator.
How to Apply
In order to apply for this scholarship you are supposed not only to fill out the application form, but also to add some of the additional documentation.
You should read the application guidelines prior to submitting the application.
Firstly, you need to complete all required fields of the online application form and attach a copy of your current high school transcript, a copy of the acceptance letter from the college or university you will be attending and a personal essay which should be maximum 500 words in which you will discuss the following:
- Why do you want to become a language teacher?
- How did your interest in languages originate?
- How do you pursue your interest in languages outside of the classroom?
Also you should provide a letter of recommendation from a language teacher who was your instructor in high school and who can answer the question – What can you tell us about this student that gives you confidence he or she will become an effective and impactful language educator?
The letters of recommendation should be sent by the teacher shemsleves directly to firstname.lastname@example.org via email.