- Renewable: Unknown
- Number of Awards: 1
- Award Amount: $1,000
- Website: http://www.pflagsacramento.org/scholarship
- Phone: (916) 978-0410
- Fax: Not Available
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: PO Box 661855, Sacramento, CA 95866-1855
An annual $1,000 scholarship awarded to talented LGBTQI college freshmen or graduating high-school seniors from the Sacramento area who will attend college starting from the Fall semester.
PFLAG (Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) Sacramento is an organization founded in 1982 in order to promote the health, well-being and education of persons from the LGBTQI community. They aim to provide opportunities for dialogue regarding gender identity and sexual orientation and advocate a society respectful of human diversity.
They offer an annual $1,000 scholarship to promising LGBTQI college freshmen or graduating high-school seniors from the Sacramento area who will attend college starting from the Fall semester. During the application process, candidates should prove an active involvement with the LGBTQI community and write a two-page essay describing their vision for this community. Furthermore, two reference letters which can attest the candidate’s character, accomplishments and abilities are also needed.
The deadline for the application is May 31, 2019 and the winner will be announced in June 2019.
- Applicants should be either graduating high-school seniors admitted to a college or already enrolled in their first year in college
- They should be from the Sacramento area
- They should have a minimum 2.5 GPA
- They should identify themselves as LGBTQI (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning or intersex)
- Demonstrate interest in service to the LGBTQI community
How to Apply
Applicants should fill in the application form available on the scholarship’s website in both pdf and word formats and submit it no later than May 31, 2019 either by email or post. The application form contains general information about the candidates and their educational institutions, their community service involvement and/or work experience and their involvement with the LGBTQI community. The following additional documents should also be submitted:
- An unofficial high-school transcript
- A personal resume
- Two letters of recommendation
- A maximum two page essay (type, 12 point font, one-inch margins) essay describing their vision for the LGBTQI community