Four $1,000 scholarships awarded to high-school seniors from the Los Angeles Unified School District who are currently admitted to a two- or four-year college or university. Preference will be given to students of color who are or previously have been in foster care, undocumented, homeless, group-home or system-involved or LGBTQ.
The Black Skeptics Los Angeles is an organization aiming to promote the work of black skeptics, secular humanists, atheists, agnostics and other freethinkers through educational and social justice initiatives, as well as community outreach.
They offer yearly four $1,000 scholarships targeting high-school seniors admitted to a two- or four-year college or university. The applicants should have been involved in school or community-based organizations. Preference will be given to candidates pertaining to ethnic minorities (e.g. African Americans, Native Americans, Latinos or Asian/Pacific Islanders), who are or who are or have been in foster care, undocumented, homeless, group-home, system-involved or LGBTQ.
Candidates should submit by email, mail, or fax an application form, together with a short essay, a proof of admission to a college or university and a letter of recommendation.
The deadline for the applications is June 10, 2021 and the awards must be used exclusively for educational expenses (e.g. tuition fees, room and board, books and other materials).
- Applicants should be high-school seniors recently admitted to a two- or four-year college or university
- They must have a record of participation in school or community-based organizations
- Preference will be given to African Americans, Latinos, Native Americans or Asian/Pacific Islanders who are or have been in foster care, undocumented, homeless, group-home, system-involved or LGBTQ
How to Apply
By June 10, 2021 applicants should either fill in the online application form (available at http://blackskepticsla.org/scholarship-application/first-in-the-family-humanist-scholarship-award-online-application/)or download and fill in the form in a PDF format (available at http://blackskepticsla.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/First-in-the-Family-Humanist-Scholarship-App-2016.pdf) and submit the following additional documents by email, mail or fax:
- A 400 to 700 words essay describing the issues the applicants are passionate about in their community and how Humanism, which is based on the presupposition that all humans are equal, regardless of their race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation etc., can create social change
- An admission letter from a two- or four-year college
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher or advisor which must include details about the applicant’s participation in school or community-based organizations