The Don & Sybil Harrington Scholarship was established by the Trustees of the Sybil B. Harrington Trust in association with the Arizona Community Foundation.
The Don & Sybil Harrington Scholarship is established to financially support those truly exceptional students from Lubbock County High Schools who wish to pursue their education in the fields of Mathematics, Physical Sciences or Engineering who are experiencing financial need.
Mr. and Mrs. Harrington had a lifetime commitment to improving life nationwide, so they established scholarship programs at the University of Texas, West Texas A&M, The Julliard School, Amarillo College, and fellowships through Research to Prevent Blindness
The Harrington scholarship may be renewed for up to 8 semesters total, with a maximum of 4 semesters at a community college.
If you belong to those students eligible for renewal, you will be contacted via email each spring with instructions on how to request continued funding.
So as to be eligible for renewal, you must maintain continuous full-time enrollment with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25.
The award amount ranges from $2,500 to $5,000 per awardee.
In the majority of cases, the award is $2,500 annually for students attending community colleges and $5,000 annually for students attending a four-year college or university.
The first thing that should come to your mind when considering applying for a scholarship is the eligibility requirements.
The Don & Sybil Harrington Scholarship is available to the following people:
- Graduating senior from an accredited high school in Maricopa County and beginning full-time college studies within four months of high school completion.
- Admitted to an accredited university or community college for full-time undergraduate study.
- Financial need as indicated on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid report
- 5 or higher cumulative grade point average in high school.
- Minimum college admission test score of 28 on the ACT or 1300 (Math + Reading/Writing) on the SAT.
- Demonstrated evidence of high motivation, determination to succeed and potential leadership.
How to Apply
The deadline for the application submission is the 15th of May and you are required to provide the whole application package, consisting of your academic records, financial need, essays, and recommendation letters prior to that moment to be considered for the award.
Applications for the Don & Sybil Harrington Scholarship are available on the Arizona Community Foundation website and so as to apply, the applicant must register with the foundation.