- Renewable: Unknown
- Number of Awards: 2-5
- Award Amount: Not Available
- Website: http://canfit.org/scholarships/
- Phone: (510) 644-1533
- Fax: (510) 644-1535
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: 2140 Shattuck Avenue, Suite 1110 Berkeley, CA 94704
Between two and five annual need-based scholarships for students of African American, Native American, Alaskan, Asian American, Pacific Islander or Latino/Hispanic descent to assist with their college undergraduate or graduate education in the fields of nutrition, physical activity or culinary arts.
CANFIT is an organization based in California and aiming to help communities build stronger futures by providing local leaders, community members and young people with strategies for changing various policies and thus turning their neighborhoods into healthier places.
Since 1995, they offer annually from two to five need-based scholarships to undergraduate or graduate students pertaining to ethnic minorities such as African Americans, Native Americans, Alaskans, Asian Americans, Pacific Islanders or Latinos/Hispanics, who are studying nutrition, sports or culinary arts. These scholarships should be used exclusively for education-related expenses (tuition fees, accommodation, books etc.)
Generally, the deadline for the applications is March 31, each year. However, the scholarship program is currently on hiatus and will re-open only in 2019.
- Applicants should pertain to an ethnic minority (e.g. African American, Native American, Alaskan, Asian American, Pacific Islander or Latino/Hispanic)
- They should be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at an accredited college or university from the state of California
- They should major in fields related to nutrition, physical activity or culinary arts
- They must be able to provide proof of financial need
- They must have a GPA of 3.0 (for graduate students) or 2.5 (for undergraduate students
How to Apply
By no later than March 31, 2019 candidates should fill in and submit the following forms (in original, plus three copies):
- Application form
- Financial statement form
- Two recommendation forms filled in by professors, academic advisors, counselors, coaches, bosses, supervisors, directors, community organizers or community leaders
Additionally, they should also submit (in original, plus three copies) the following documents:
- A personal letter
- A 500 to 1000 words community change essay
- A picture and an official school transcript (one copy of each only)
NB: the application is now on hiatus and will re-open only in 2019!