- Renewable: Unknown
- Number of Awards: Not Available
- Award Amount: Not Available
- Website: http://www.blakemorefoundation.org/language.html
- Phone: (206) 359-8778
- Fax: Not Available
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: 1201 Third Avenue, Suite 4900 Seattle, Washington 98101
Several annual scholarships (Blakemore Freeman Fellowships and Blakemore Refresher Grants) assisting the advanced study of languages from East or Southeast Asia for persons involved in academic, professional, business or technical careers which involves the regular use of languages such as Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Burmese, Indonesian, Khmer, Thai or Vietnamese.
The Blakemore Foundation is an organization established in 1990 by Thomas and Frances Blakemore aiming to encourage Americans to learn Asian languages and develop their understanding and appreciation of Asian art.
They offer annually several scholarships for assisting the advanced study of languages from East or Southeast Asia to persons pursuing academic, professional, business or technical careers involving the regular use of languages such as Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Burmese, Indonesian, Khmer, Thai or Vietnamese.
Candidates can apply either for the Blakemore Freeman Fellowships or, if they are more advanced in their careers, the Blakemore Refresher Grants.
The deadline for the applications is December 30, 2019 and several finalists will be contacted in mid-March to schedule video interviews.
For the Blakemore Freeman Fellowships:
- Applicants must be pursuing academic, technical, business or professional careers involving the regular employment of modern East or Southeast Asian languages such as Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Burmese, Indonesian, Khmer, Thai or Vietnamese.
- They must have been awarded an undergraduate degree.
- They must be fluent in the language they choose (3 years of university-level study or equivalent)
- They should be willing and able to study full-time during the term of the grant the chosen language
- They must be U.S. citizens or permanent legal residents of the U.S.
For the Blakemore Refresher Grants:
- Applicants should be U.S. citizens or permanent legal residents of the U.S. in mid-career aiming to refresh their knowledge of an Asian language
- They must be established in academia, public service or private sector
- They must be former Blakemore Freeman Fellows, professors teaching in an Asian field at an American college or university, or persons working in an Asian career area.
How to Apply
By no later than December 30, 2019, 11:30 p.m. EST, candidates should submit their applications online on the following webpage: https://blakemorefoundation.communityforce.com.
Applications should include:
- A list of courses taken in the chosen language of study
- A list of academic/professional honors
- A curriculum vitae or resume (PDF format)
- A personal essay detailing the applicant’s career path and goals